Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I Remember Nana . . . . . .

The other night April & I watched, 'I Remember Mama', one of my classic favorites. At first April pooh, poohed it because it was the dreaded black & white movie but about half way through, cuddling next to me (she felt her heart strings being softened towards her own mama) she quietly told me that she liked it very much. The movie is about a Norwegian family living in San Francisco. I love it!!! In a small way it reminded my of my grandmother whom we called 'Nana'. When I grow up I hope to be a Nana!

Nana was the best grandma anyone could have (at least that's what I believe). There was no denying that we felt loved. My brothers and I would each enjoy a week of our very own with Nana & Grandpa in the summer. They lived just outside of San Francisco in Pacifica. I have been all around the Bay area throughout my growing up years. Nana would fix delicious salmon (caught by grandpa from the Pacific Ocean), fried eggs with cream & bacon.Try as I may, I have never been able to duplicate her fluffy eggs & bacon. She would also make pie and get the cute little ice cream cups with the woodenspoons. We'd watch movies together and laugh about lots of things. That's probably why I like old movies and music from the 40's. At night falling asleep on their couch I was lulled into dreamland by the ticking of their many cuckoo clocks.




Nana taught me how to sew (she was an excellent seamstress, Mom and I had many the matching outfits for Christmas and Easter) and best of all how to go junking. Once you've been taught how to junk you never get it out of your blood. I still love to find Salvation Army stores or Christian Ministry stores and do some junking (junking: looking for hidden treasures). I'm not sure I have ever found any but it's a lot of fun finding a bargain.



Christmas of course was our favorite. As soon as we would hear Nana & Grandpa's car pull up we'd run out to help with ALL the presents that needed to be brought in. Then my brothers and I would measure to see how far all the gifts came out from under the tree. At times we swear they came all the way out to the stairs (at least that's what it looked like to us). Our gifts were not packed with toys but mostly with homemade things and a lot of love. We loved them!!


(Grandpa was always the offical turkey carver)

(Four generations: Nana, Mom, Jacque, Jessica & Vanessa)

(Great grandma Nana & Kaden)

(Uncle Clarence, Grandpa, Emily & Amber)

When my brother's and I would have our week at Nana & Grandpa's our favorite great Uncle, Clarence, would always take us out to a movie. I remember seeing 'Bedknobs & Broomsticks in the theatre (if you can believe that, that kinda dates me). He had a very snazzy red corvette that Debbie (my cousin) & I got to ride in. It had large white knobs on the inside. Debbie and I decided to unscrew the knob and use it as our magic knob as we had just seen in the movie. I'm not sure Uncle Clarence appreciated that but I have fond memories of it. Good times, good times!

Two of my other favorite people were Aunt Ruth & Uncle Eddie. They were the sweetest, loveable people. Aunt Ruth was always giggling and filled a room with cheer. Nana was very famous (at least in our family) for her scarves. She never left home without one. I think she said she wore them so as not to get an ear-infection. Aren't the hats that those dashing men are wearing wonderful?

(Grandpa, Uncle Clarence & Uncle Eddie are brothers)

I think of these wonderful people often. They filled my life with many happy memories and a lot of love. At times I can still hear & feel the very heart warming laugh that my Nana had and her encircling arms of love, but most of all I remember Nana.



4 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

I AM SOOOO HAPPY.....I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!
Now you have to update at least once a week (Sundays are easy...), and along with these very precious family memories, include some recent stuff, too, right!

These are lovely memories of your Nana. Your pictures are so fun, and your writing is as if I am snuggled under a blanket with some hot chocolate right next to you! What a lovely way to start your blog! But it does make me miss you more!

I remember watching that old black and white with you...it was the mom all along...so sweet!

Thanks for making my morning start off GREAT!

J said...

love the photos. I did not have very long with Nana but I still have the cards and letters she sent me for almost every holiday signed with xoxo Love Nana and Grandpa and they are treasures.

Justin and Vanessa said...

It is fun to see all the pictures.

ande said...

Wonderful memories. A little touch of Texas once in a while will be nice.